The Epilepsy Association is excited to bring you its 8th Annual Race the River event, and this year it will be virtual! Even though large gatherings are not permitted at this time, we have the opportunity to join virtually and celebrate and explore the beautiful nature across our wonderful state as we have added a unique Race the River challenge! We are still hosting our annual race events which include a self-timed 10K, 5K, and 1 Mile family fun run, and this year we had added a challenge category to run the length of a river in Ohio (see examples below)! This challenge may be completed however you like to get outside and exercise: running, walking, hiking, biking, or cycling! The beauty of virtual races is that you can participate anytime, anywhere while running the course of your choice!
Get started exercising, log your time/miles/travel mode,connect with fellow runners, and make sure to complete before September 13!
-Official Race the River branded face covering (for Challenge, 10K, and 5K,)
-First 20 sign-ups get an EA beer koozie (for Challenge, 10K, and 5K,)
-Purple Cape (1-mile family walk)
-Custom finisher medals
1. Select the Race or Challenge you’d like to participate in
2. Encourage others to join by forming a team
3. Make your miles count even more by signing up to be a charity runner
4. Complete your event of choice between June 1- September 13
5. Submit your results through the “challenge & race submissions” tab on our race homepage
6. Make sure to post your efforts and tag us at #RacetheRiverCLE. We want to see photos!
How the Challenge Works:
The challenge is simple! Sign up for our challenge category, pick the river distance you wish to complete (suggestions below), start exercising immediately, log your miles/travel mode along the way, connect with fellow runners, and make sure to complete before September 13!
We’ve listed out some suggested river challenges along with its distance:
-Rocky River Challenge (12mi.)
-Brandywine Creek Challenge (20mi.)
-Ashtabula River Challenge (40mi.)
-Chagrin River Challenge (48mi.)
-Vermillion River Challenge (70mi.)
-Cuyahoga River Challenge (85mi.)
-Grand River Challenge (103mi.)
-Sandusky River Challenge (133mi.)
-Ohio River “ULTIMATE” Challenge (981mi.)
Looking to run a river from outside of Ohio? No problem! Contact Miranda at email@example.com to get your river added to our challenge list!
Make Your Miles Count Even More!
One way to share the work of our agency and mission during these challenging times is to become a charity team fundraiser! Below are simple ways to fundraise for this event:
1. Sign up to become a fundraiser or start a fundraising team during registration: Reach out to your friends, family, colleagues, and local businesses to donate to help reach your team’s over-all goal while raising epilepsy awareness!
2.Set your goal: We suggest $500 for individuals and $2,000 for teams.
Those who raise $250+ become an official charity team member and earn a special charity team member t-shirt.
Those who raise $500+ get the charity team t-shirt and their race entry re-funded back to them.
2. Fund-Your-Run: Get sponsored for your run! Ask friends, family, and co-workers to sponsor you per mile. This is an easy way to get others involved and to quickly reach your personal fundraising goal. For example: You decide to partake in the Ashtabula River Challenge (40 miles) and you have three sponsors for your run. Remember, if you raise at least $500 your race entry fee is re-funded back to you.
i. 1 donor pledges $5/mile * 40 miles = $200
ii. 2 donors pledge $3/mile * 40 miles = $240
iii. 3 donors pledge $.50/mile * 40 miles = $60
Total Raised: $500
All proceeds from the race will go directly to our agency’s local programs and services which assist those affected by epilepsy in Northeast Ohio. To read about the agency programs and services click here.
Save money by spreading the word!
Refer 3 friend and receive $10 back on you order. Referral code can be found in your confirmation email.