Update to 2020 Classic at Mastick
Keeping the tradition. Changing the format.
Fairview Park, Ohio — 28 years ago, the Classic at Mastick was founded to raise funds for high school athletes in the name of cross country and friendly competition. While we had hoped to toe the line with you once again, the health and safety of everyone participating in and supporting the event is our highest priority as well as the inability to obtain a permit. In response to the ongoing public health concerns brought on by the coronavirus pandemic, event organizers had decided to cancel the in-person event on August 12.
In light of this decision, registered runners for the 2020 event will have the option to receive a refund for their race entry, to defer their entry fee to next year’s Classic at Mastick, or be automatically rolled into our hybrid style event.
So how are we raising money and keeping cross country moving this year?
To keep the yearly tradition alive, continue to raise funds for high school seniors, and add a layer of competition, we will be hosting a hybrid event for 2020.
What this means:
- The hybrid event will have a 19 day window to complete your race
- Run a Cross Country-style 5k or 2 Mile as an Individual using Strava or another tracking app and submit your time.
- Run as a Team. Coaches may submit all times as a spreadsheet.
- We will bring the race to you. Contact Jay Toole at Runiversity and we will setup a timed race for your team at your home course.
On a personal note, we love seeing the wave of runners excitedly waiting for the air horn to go off. Cross Country season is our favorite season and we had hoped the Classic could have commenced as usual to bring the running community back together. With the move to our hybrid style event, we still hope to unite the running community and kick off the XC season with a run through the familiar trails of South Mastick.
We appreciate all of you who have supported the event and hope to see you out on the course in the coming weeks. Regardless of what life throws at us, harness the running spirt and #KeepMovingForward.
- Runner buff to first 250 sign ups
- Scholarships for teams that compete in the race
- New design and shirt for 2020
- Optional Team Race with Runiversity
Pick ups for the Runner Perks will begin August 19. Look for emails regarding the information.
- Click this link: https://forms.gle/oDspU8ufbs3maQq99
- Results will be compiled and posted here: https://bit.ly/ClassicAtMastick2020
Let’s get some legs moving! Contact Info@TheRuniversity with any and all questions you may have.